“The secret of Toastmaster’s success is that it is many things to many people and somehow, no matter who you are or what your goals and needs are, you will not only achieve those goals but you will also learn a few new and unexpected things along the way.” – R. Anderson, member since 2011
History and Inception
Foothills Toastmasters is one of the largest and most established clubs in the Calgary area, having received its charter on February 13, 1960.
Since its inception, Foothills has had the reputation of being one of the strongest clubs in District 42 (Alberta and Saskatchewan).
Foothills members have competed in and won national and international speech competitions. Many Foothills Toastmasters have enjoyed great success in business and politics as a result of the communication and leadership skills they acquired at our weekly meetings.
– 20% of members first joined the club over 20 years ago
– 50% of members work in the Downtown area
– Members come from all quadrants of the city, from as far as Springbank and Shawnessey
Members come from a diverse professional background, including (but not limited to):
– Professional Speaking
– Charitable Organizations
– Health Care
– Sales & Marketing
– Real Estate
– and more.
As a club, we aim to provide members an energetic atmosphere to help with personal growth and development.
Members are given a chance to speak at each meeting and all speaking roles are evaluated.
The meeting is scheduled as a dinner meeting, and members have the option to dine on a professionally prepared, four course meal.
Some past and present members include:
- Kris Matthews, the inaugural winner of the “Calgary Woman of the Year” award
- Corrine Tessier, one of Alberta’s “50 Most Influential People” — Alberta Venture Magazine
- Susie Hately-Aldous, yoga guru, one of Calgary Herald’s “20 Compelling Calgarians to Watch in 2004”
- Alderman Gael McLeod, Ward 4 Calgary
- Senator Ron Ghitter
- Brian Lee, former MLA and professional speaker
- Jon Lord, former MLA for Currie
- Doon Wilkins, professional speaker